NOTE TO SELF, BASED ON QUAKER TESTIMONIES OF INTEGRITY, SIMPLICITY, PEACE, EQUALITY, AND COMMUNITY:

1. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and soul, and your neighbor as yourself.
2. Do what you say, say what you think, think what is true.
3. Subtract superfluities from your life, speech, desires and thoughts.
4. Don't initiate aggression against the persons or property of others, nor support people who do, including the people who "constitute" the government.
5. Respect life and natural law.
6. All people are endowed by their Creator with equal and inalienable rights to the earth and to the fruits of their own labor, and a "Citizen's Dividend" funded by a "Single Tax" on the unimproved value of land and other natural resources would be the fairest way to protect these rights.

For supporting materials, see the Archive and the Recommended Reading and Videos section at the bottom of this page.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

New-found treasures on the internet

Seems like I'm always finding great new stuff on the internet that I had somehow missed before. Just now I found the website for Conservative Friends of America, which for some strange reason did not turn up when I did a Google search for "Conservative Friends" a few days ago. It's really a good site with lots of good info about Conservative Quakerism. I found this site by following links from Bill Samuel's Quakerinfo.com. I was in turn drawn to Quakerinfo.com by Bill Samuel's very good "seamless-garment" article linked to at the site Friends for a Pro-Life Peace Testimony (another very good site) and by his comment on my post about Convergent Friends, in which he provided a helpful explanation of the "Emergent Church." (I also found yesterday a very helpful blog post by Scot McKnight titled What is the Emerging Church?) In addition to a lot of good info about Quakerism in general at Quakerinfo.com, I found especially noteworthy the Quaker News section on the main page, since I haven't run across or noticed on the internet a similar compendium of recent Quaker news stories.

I'm running a little short on time so I haven't linked to these sites from this post, but all the sites in italics above are linked to from the Recommended Reading section at the bottom of this page.