NOTE TO SELF, BASED ON QUAKER TESTIMONIES OF INTEGRITY, SIMPLICITY, PEACE, EQUALITY, AND COMMUNITY:

1. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and soul, and your neighbor as yourself.
2. Do what you say, say what you think, think what is true.
3. Subtract superfluities from your life, speech, desires and thoughts.
4. Don't initiate aggression against the persons or property of others, nor support people who do, including the people who "constitute" the government.
5. Respect life and natural law.
6. All people are endowed by their Creator with equal and inalienable rights to the earth and to the fruits of their own labor, and a "Citizen's Dividend" funded by a "Single Tax" on the unimproved value of land and other natural resources would be the fairest way to protect these rights.

For supporting materials, see the Archive and the Recommended Reading and Videos section at the bottom of this page.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

They haven't come to take me away

In an earlier blog post I set a goal of more or less daily blog posts but sort of committed to at least one a week, suggesting that if you haven't heard from me in a week that just might mean that They have finally come to take me away. Well, Thanksgiving week went by quickly, and I noticed that my last blog post was a week ago today, so despite not having much to say or comment upon after my daily perusal of my blogroll at the right, I'm checking in so that my regular reader(s) know I'm still at large. (According to Sitemeter, I seem to have a few, including now my brother and maybe my dad after letting them know about this blog's existence over turkey last Thursday.) But by all means, if you want to contribute to my legal defense fund which I suspect I'll need someday in the future, buy one of those "Recommended" books through the Amazon links at the bottom of this page.

A couple items of note: this review over at the excellent blog The Distributist Review of the new movie No Country for Old Men, which I look forward to seeing soon; and this recent post at The Volokh Conspiracy about "a little scandal brewing in South Carolina over the state Supreme Court's decision to eliminate the results from one [bar exam] question, allowing several people to pass who would otherwise have failed, including the daughter of a influential local pol." A related post in my mind is this one, also at The Volokh Conspiracy, on "Why You Shouldn't Go to Law School." The biggest argument against going to law school is the time and expense involved. After the all, the "legal jobs and other attorneys suck" part of the argument is highly dependent upon personality and particular circumstances, and really not a big deal if you're not carrying on your back a boatload of law school debt and three years of missed opportunities. In the absence of these costs, you could simply learn on the job or in an apprenticeship and find out for yourself whether you like and are suited for the practice of law. If you find out that you're not, you simply move into another field, no big deal, nothing wasted. You could become a teacher, if that profession hadn't also set up draconian entry barriers around itself to protect its salaries. What a wonderful and freer world this would be if we were properly outraged and scandalized by these transparent conspiracies between various professions and the government to protect their turf and jack up prices at the expense of consumers through these licensing schemes. These schemes are not only a serious infringement on the very fundamental right to earn an honest living, but in the case of the typical "Unauthorized Practice of Law" statutes forbidding unlicensed attorneys from rendering legal advice probably also a violation of the First Amendment.

COMING SOON: Inspired by this post by "Quaker Ranter" Martin Kelley (especially this line: "I'm more tender and forgiving of other Quaker bloggers when I know more of their story: it puts what they say into a context that makes it sound more lived, less ideological."), a personal, less ideological explanation of the life experiences that have contributed to my present rather vitriolic contempt for "our" government.